Wednesday 28 March 2012

Scots Pine


This is my little Scots pine that I've been working on for the last 3 years. This year is going to be an important one as its near the size and shape that I want. The shape is simply how the tree expressed itself once I had wired it a little and got some ramification happening. Its very healthy now after being repotted 15 months ago and soon its ready for some pinching and wiring.

Its planted in pure biosorb - with a little pine bark to inspire the Mycorrhizal fungi - so it needs regular fertiliser to keep it happy. I'm still using Canna 3 times a week and I see no reason to change given the results. Once a month I give it a hit of fish emulsion - also to keep the root fungi happily fed and feed the other soil microbes.

The last few years this one has had a lot of flowers on it - I'm hoping not so much this year as they leave a nasty scar/bald-patch on the tree.



I also removed a lot of new buds from it as almost every needle has split and formed a new bud. My poor wife wasn't pleased when she discovered me using her cuticle cutters to remove buds - but they are almost the perfect tool for the job.

2 comments:

Bonsai-Anna said...

I am happy to have found a new bonsai-blog! Like you I have a "helpful" cat, he appears in the pictures now and then, totally unintentional. Now I have given him a label of his own, "Hanibal"!

Paul F said...

My cat is wonderful. The cat has been raised surrounded by bonsai and loves to watch as i work on them - quite often she will "help" me too. She now knows that when i ignore her she just needs to bite a plant.